Please Read Before Adopting
…from a dog’s point of view.
- My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any seperation from you will be painful for me. Remember that before you buy me.
- Give me time to understand what you want from me.
- Please put your trust in me; it is crucial for my well-being.
- Don’t be angry with me for long and don’t lock me up for punishment. You have your work, your entertainment, and your friends. I have only you.
- Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don’t understand your words, I understand your voice when it is speaking to me.
- Be aware that, however you treat me, I’ll never forget it.
- Remember before you hit me that I have teeth that could easily crush the bones in your hand, but that I choose not to bite you.
- Before you scold me for being “uncooperative,” “obstinate,” or “lazy,” ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I’m not getting the right food, or I’ve been out in the sun too long or my heart is getting old and weak.
- Take care of me when I get old: you, too, will grow old.
- Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say “I can’t bear to watch it” or “Let it happen in my absence.” Everything is easier for me if you are there.